Continuous Interviewing (Various Dates)
Gain valuable insights from weekly customer interviews.Enroll in Course
The 5-week course is designed to help you build a habit of continuous interviewing. It is designed to give you deliberate practice with the skill of interviewing so that you get more from each interview.
You’ll learn how to ask the right interview questions so that you get actionable insights from your prospects and customers.
You’ll learn how to improve your active listening skills and take better notes during the interviews.
You’ll learn how to synthesize what you are learning interview by interview into interview snapshots making it easy for you to act on what you are learning.
And finally, you’ll learn how to automate the recruiting process, removing the biggest hurdle to continuous interviewing.
This course follows a "flipped classroom" model. That means you'll work through about an hour of videos, articles, and exercises on your own before attending each week's live session. During the live session, you'll get hands-on practice putting the lessons into practice. As you practice, your instructor will be available to answer questions and give feedback.
This is one of the easiest ways to improve your interviewing skills and start building the keystone habit that will help you accelerate your discovery skills.
- Week 1: Course Kick-off: How to Get the Most Value Out of Deliberate Practice
- Week 1: Ask the Right Interview Questions: Collect Insights & Opportunities
- Week 2: Improve Your Active Listening: Take Better Notes
- Week 3: Continuous Synthesis: Turn Your Insights Into Action
- Week 4: Automate Your Recruiting Process: Make Continuous Interviewing Sustainable
This course has several instructors who each play different roles.
Course Designer: Teresa Torres designed this course, narrated all of the instructional videos, and wrote all of the instructional content.
Cohort Facilitators: Each cohort has a course facilitator that hosts the lives sessions and is available to answer questions as you practice. This course has two course facilitators: Teresa Torres and Ellen Juhlin. When choosing a cohort (see the bottom of the page), the description will indicate who your course facilitator will be.
Slack Support: All of our instructors are available at any time to answer questions and provide support in our active Slack community.
Community Calls: Additionally, all students will have access to twice-a-month community calls hosted by Teresa Torres.
Teresa Torres is an internationally acclaimed author, speaker, and coach. She teaches a structured and sustainable approach to continuous discovery that helps product teams infuse their daily product decisions with customer input. She’s coached hundreds of teams at companies of all sizes, from early-stage start-ups to global enterprises, in a variety of industries. She has taught over 7,000 product people discovery skills through the Product Talk Academy. She’s the author of the book Continuous Discovery Habits and blogs at ProductTalk.org.
Ellen Juhlin is a product consultant and coach who works with CEOs and early stage startups to turn innovations into valuable products. She is currently on the executive team at Orion Labs as Senior Director of Product Management, where she has led development on platform services, automation and voice bots, hardware, firmware, and mobile apps. During her 18 years in product management, she has led B2B product initiatives in collaboration with global customer companies across diverse industries including entertainment, hospitality, retail, public transportation, mining, security, manufacturing, healthcare, government, and more. She enjoys sharing her product management knowledge and expertise with others via coaching. When she's not building products, she's building interactive and immersive art experiences, large and small.
Ellen has a BFA from Carnegie Mellon University, and holds 16 patents. She is based in Oakland, CA but works with clients globally.
Frequently Asked Questions
What Students Are Saying ...
- “Was good, actionable content. I was able to utilize these methods immediately in my real life.” Rob Adams, Product Manager, Greenlight Guru
- “Extremely satisfied with the quality and time length of the course. Optional reading was great idea. It fits in neatly with work and is achievable.” – Simon le Maistre, Head of Product, Reallyenglish
- “It has been really useful for me to have the guinea pig group to practice with and learn from. I feel much more confident to try this with real customers than if I'd just read some blog posts. As you said in the initial pitch—deliberate practice is how you learn!” – Tam Finlay, Head of Product at Farewill
What to expect from this course:
- On the first day of the course, we'll meet for ~60 minutes to review how the course works and make sure you are setup for success.
- Each week, there will be 30-45 minutes of instructional material (a mix of articles and videos) that you’ll go through on your own.
- You’ll also work through an individual activity that will help you put what you are learning into practice. These activities are designed to take 10-30 minutes and will need to be completed before that week's live session.
- During our live class sessions, we'll quickly review that week's instructional content. You'll spend the bulk of our live sessions working with your group, applying that week's lesson. We'll end each class with a brief discussion of that week's activity. Throughout the practice time, you'll have access to the instructor in case you get stuck or have questions.
- Live sessions are a great way to connect with other students in the course. We often hear that for many students this is their favorite part of the course. We also know from a learning standpoint, we learn more when we see how others tackle the same problem and have thought partner to discuss ideas with. Live sessions are a critical component of all Product Talk Academy courses.
- If you have questions in between our live sessions you can reach out to your instructors any time through our course channel in the Continuous Discovery Habits Slack community.
- You’ll have access to all of the course content for 3 months starting from the course kick-off.
- Still have questions? Send us an email.
One more thing ...
You'll also get a 3-month subscription to our Continuous Discovery Habits Membership Program. This membership program is designed to help you connect with and learn from likeminded peers as you work to develop and hone your continuous discovery habits.
- Twice-a-month membership calls where we'll tackle your most pressing discovery questions. These calls are hosted by Teresa Torres and are informal conversations about whatever is top of mind for participants.
- Focused challenges that will help you put the continuous discovery habits into practice
- A virtual book club where we read and discuss books that help us become better continuous discovery practitioners.
- Access to our Worthy Reads library (over 300 of the best product resources from around the web) and a dedicated Slack channel to discuss daily finds.
- And much more.