Defining Outcomes (Various Dates)
Translate business outcomes into product outcomes you can deliver.Enroll in Course
This 5-week course is designed to help you set product outcomes by focusing on the leading indicators of human behavior that drive business outcomes.
You’ll learn how to translate lagging business indicators (e.g. revenue, market share) into leading customer behaviors that indicate you’re on the right track and provide focus for your team’s discovery and delivery efforts.
You’ll learn how to propose and negotiate product outcomes with your leadership team.
You’ll learn how to set specific goals for your product outcomes.
You’ll learn how to deconstruct your goals to see the levers within your team’s control and influence to achieve your product outcomes.
This course follows a "flipped classroom" model. That means you'll work through about an hour of videos, articles, and exercises on your own before attending each week's live session. During the live session, you'll get hands-on practice putting the lessons into practice. As your practice, your instructor will be available to answer questions and give feedback.
- Week 1: Course Kick-off: How to Get the Most Value Out of Deliberate Practice
- Week 2: Deconstruct business outcomes.
- Week 3: Use maps and math to identify potential product outcomes.
- Week 4: Identify your point of leverage for maximum impact.
- Week 5: Negotiate to set your product outcomes.
This course has several instructors who each play different roles.
Course Designer: Hope Gurion designed this course, narrated all of the instructional videos, and wrote all of the instructional content.
Cohort Facilitators: Each cohort has a course facilitator that hosts the lives sessions and is available to answer questions as you practice. This course has two course facilitators: Hope Gurion and Ellen Brandenberger. When choosing a cohort (see the bottom of the page), the description will indicate who your course facilitator will be.
Slack Support: All of our instructors are available at any time to answer questions and provide support in our active Slack community.
Community Calls: Additionally, all students will have access to twice-a-month community calls hosted by Teresa Torres.
Hope Gurion founded Fearless Product LLC to serve as a Coach to product leaders and product teams seeking growth through customer-centric, evidence-based strategies.
She has led more than 40 B2B and B2C product teams throughout her career. She was Chief Product Officer at CareerBuilder and SVP, Product Management at Beachbody. She led several verticals as a product and business leader at AOL.
When she’s not building great products and product teams, she sharing best practices on product leadership topics through the “Fearless Product Leadership” podcast to help product leaders shorten their learning curves.
She has an MBA from Duke University and a BA from Pennsylvania State University. She is based near San Francisco, CA but works with clients globally.
Ellen Brandenberger has led more than 20 B2B, B2B2C and B2C product teams throughout her career. Most recently she was the Director of Product Management & Design at Chegg (NYSE: CHGG). Prior to that, her experience included acting as the first PM at a startup with a $80 million successful exit and working in product across startups, growth stage and public companies. She also has experience as a product executive and fast-tracking her product career. She enjoys working with product managers and product leaders who are eager to create growth through customer discovery against clear outcomes.
She has a Masters from Harvard University and a BA from the University of Notre Dame. She is based in Brooklyn, NY but works with clients globally.
Frequently Asked Questions
What Students Are Saying ...
- “The course does a good job of marrying theory and practice. I know of a lot of people who want to be outcome focused - but without some foundational skills to shift teams / companies in that direction, it's all aspiration and no execution. This course gives a good foundation so that people can pick up and modify examples from class to apply.” --Courtland Halbrook, Sr. Director Product, USA
- “It helps you as product manager to understand what leaders expect and what you have to do.” --Stephan Wilhelm Schmitz, Product-/Service-Owner Metro EDI, Germany
- “Thank you for such a great class!! I have been struggling with making good outcomes for a year now and I finally feel like I have a plan that can get us there.” --Amanda Obringer, Product Manager, BombBomb, USA
- “This was one of the most challenging courses I have taken so far. The content is great and the weekly practice sessions are very intense. Defining good outcomes is key for successful product teams.” --Geraldo Farias, Senior Agile Coach, Farfetch, Portugal
What to expect from this course:
- On the first day of the course, we'll meet for ~60-minutes to review how the course works and make sure you are setup for success.
- Each week, there will be 30-45 minutes of instructional material (a mix of articles and videos) that you’ll go through on your own.
- You’ll also work through an individual activity that will help you put what you are learning into practice. These activities are designed to take 20-30 minutes and will need to be completed before that week's live session.
- During our live class sessions, we'll quickly review that week's instructional content. You'll spend the bulk of our live sessions working with your group, applying that week's lesson. We'll end each class with a brief discussion of that week's activity. Throughout the practice time, you'll have access to the instructor in case you get stuck or have questions.
- Live sessions are a great way to connect with other students in the course. We often hear that for many students this is their favorite part of the course. We also know from a learning standpoint, we learn more when we see how others tackle the same problem and have thought partner to discuss ideas with. Live sessions are a critical component of all Product Talk Academy courses.
- If you have questions in between our live sessions you can reach out to your instructors any time through our course channel in the Continuous Discovery Habits Slack community.
- You’ll have access to all of the course content for 3 months starting from the course kick-off.
- Still have questions? Send us an email.
One more thing ...
You'll also get a 3-month subscription to our Continuous Discovery Habits Membership Program. This membership program is designed to help you connect with and learn from likeminded peers as you work to develop and hone your continuous discovery habits.
- Twice-a-month membership calls where we'll tackle your most pressing discovery questions. These calls are hosted by Teresa Torres and are informal conversations about whatever is top of mind for participants.
- Focused challenges that will help you put the continuous discovery habits into practice
- A virtual book club where we read and discuss books that help us become better continuous discovery practitioners.
- Access to our Worthy Reads library (over 300 of the best product resources from around the web) and a dedicated Slack channel to discuss daily finds.
- And much more.